Malaysia’s rich multicultural heritage is reflected in the food, which is heavily influenced by Indian, Chinese and Indonesian cuisines. With curries that have a fragrant base of spices and aromatics, the mortar and pestle and wok are two kitchen staples that we will cover in class.
You will each make and be able to take home your own batch of Rempah, a master Malaysian spice paste, and learn all the ingredients you need to make this fresh at home. Using a master batch in class, you will see how to transform it into a chicken curry and a beef rendang.
We will then make the traditionally popular Malaysian curry sides, Roti bread and a spicy and sweet pickle called Acar.
To finish the class, I will demonstrate a refreshing Malaysian dessert which you will all get to enjoy.
PRICE – $135.00 per person
DETAILS – demonstration and hands-on, suitable for gluten free, class cooking contains peanuts. You can bring your own mortar and pestle or purchase one in class.
Malaysian Chicken Curry
Sweet & Spicy Acar Pickle
Coconut Ice-cream with Toasted Peanuts
What does the class include?
- Mortar & Pestle notes.
- Recipe cards.
- Hands-on making a spice paste base, rempah, to be taken home.
- Demonstration on how to transform a rempah into chicken curry and beef rendang.
- Demonstration and hands-on making roti breads.
- Demonstration on making Acar.
- Generous tastings of all the food we make in class.
- INCLUDES a complementary glass of delicious WA wine.
What should I bring?
- Wear comfortable clothes and closed in shoes. Bring an apron if you have one.
- You can bring your own mortar and pestle or purchase one from Table & Taste and we will deliver it to you in class. Or we will have one for you to use in class.
- We will let you know about any other specialised utensils or equipment that you will have the opportunity to purchase in class (or can bring from home).
- Unless otherwise stated, we are happy for you to BYO too.
Does the class include tastings?
Absolutely! In order to cook great food you have to taste it. Besides, enjoying the food is one of the best parts of the class experience. With ample opportunities to taste and feast on all of the dishes we create, at the end you will be feeling full and satisfied.
How many people will be in my class?
As we travel around the state and bring the class to you, we require a minimum number of 10 participants per class to run. We won’t book any more than about 16 per class, so you get plenty of viewing space and attention to learn the cooking techniques.
How can I enquire about booking a class in my town?
Please click on the link above or fill in a contact form to enquire about booking this class in your town. We will work with you to find a suitable, local kitchen, date and time. We require a minimum number of class bookings to travel to your town for this class. This minimum number will depend on your location.