Makes 12 pies
Bacon & Egg Pies using very good smoked bacon, scrambled egg mix and mustardy cheddar. Serve them with a sweet tomato relish.
3 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
6 rashers smoked Australian bacon
12 large free range eggs
1/2 cup cream
1 tsp salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1 1/2 cups mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, conventional.
- Slice each puff pastry sheet into quarters to create 12 even sized squares.
- Generously oil a muffin tin with olive oil. Line the muffin holes with squares of baking paper or with ‘café muffin liners’. Alternatively a good tip is to cut 2cm strips of baking paper and place a crisscross in each muffin cup.
- Carefully place one square of puff pastry into each of the muffin cups.
- Trim the rind and most of the visible fat off the bacon, then slice down the centre of each rasher, lengthways. You will end up with 12 long strips of bacon. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix together the cheese and mustard and set aside.
- When you are ready to assemble the pies, first line the bacon inside each pie, wrapping around in one circle.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly between the 12 pies.
- Finish off by evenly dividing the scrambled egg mix between the 12 pies. Its easiest to pour the egg mix in using a jug.
- Cook in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is well cooked underneath and golden. If the pies are browning too quickly on top, turn the oven down slightly.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with a sweet tomato relish.