Home-made granola and cold milk splashed in is healthy, simple and delicious on its own, but with just a few indulgent added extras, it can be turned in a special occasion brunch dish. A variations of this dish was designed for Mother’s Day Brunch Boxes, by Wild Strawberry Catering, alongside Smoked Bacon & Egg Pies with Smoked Tomato Relish and Zhuccini & Dill Fritters with Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese. The boxes, packed full of brunch goodies, were delivered throughout the Wheatbelt on Mother’s Day in 2018. The overwhelming feedback was that the individual cups filled with a tahini buckwheat granola and the flavours of bittersweet chocolate, yoghurt, honey and rosewater were a resounding hit. I wanted to share a similar recipe this year, although this one uses Almond Butter instead of tahini, both of which are readily available just about anywhere.
Allthough there is a fair amount of sweetness in the finished bowls, the earthy sesame and nuts balance it out, making for a very satisfying breakfast. Serve this for your friends or your mum on its own or at the end of a special brunch. Maybe with a glass of bubbly too.
4 cups oats
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup linseeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup almond butter
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup golden syrup
1 tsp salt
Honey Yoghurt (per person)
1/2 cup full cream pot set Greek yoghurt
1 tablespoon honey
Rosewater Jam (per person)
2 tsp strawberry jam
1/2 tsp rosewater
To Serve (optional extras)
75% cocoa dark chocolate, shaved
Fruit such as Pomegranate, strawberries, raspberries, diced plum or pear
Halva, chopped or crumbled
- Pulse the oats in a food processor until they are a coarse crumb, then remove to a bowl.
- Next blitz the linseeds until they are coarsely milled and pour in with the oats.
- Repeat with the almonds in the same manner and add into the oat mix, along with the sesame seeds.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients and stir thoroughly until very well combined.
- Pour the almond butter mix over the oat mix and stir very well. It may require clean hands to crumble together and even combine.
- Tip the contents into a deep baking tray and slowly dry out in an oven at about 140 degrees celsius for 3-4 hours or until it is very dry and golden. If, after a 3-4 hours, the mix isn’t dried out, you may need to increase the oven temperature by 10 degrees celsius.
- Allow the granola to cool completely, then store in an airtight glass jar or container.
- Whisk together the yoghurt and honey until evenly combined.
- Whisk together the jam and rosewater until evenly combined.
- Spoon the honey yoghurt into individual serving bowls.
- Sprinkle over 1/2 cup granola per person.
- Spoon the rosewater jam into each bowl.
- Finish with the optional extras such as shaved dark chocolate and halva.
- Serve immediately.
- Seek out very good full cream pot set Greek yoghurt to make this dish. It tastes so much better!
- For the best flavour, consume the granola within a couple of weeks of making.
- Halva can be found in the deli section of an international foods market. It is a sweet confection make from tahini and sugar.